Dear Parents and Guardians of Flushing Manor,
As our children enter the second month of school year 2019-2020, we will be reintroducing the 12 “Habits of Mind” across all classrooms. These habits are associated with academic success both in the present and in future years. As always, our goal is to ensure our children become successful citizens and Learners for Life, for Life!
In addition to following a rigorous curriculum and challenging students daily in an academic manner, we also know that having high expectations for all of our students plays a major role in the progress they will make.
Our teachers will be introducing and incorporating these habits into their instruction on a daily basis. You can also support the development of these important traits that are linked to productivity, by encouraging the behaviors at home.
The behaviors are as follows:
- Persisting-Having an “I can do this attitude” even when things seem difficult
- Managing impulsivity-controlling ones words and actions
- Listening to others with empathy and understanding
- Flexible thinking-being able to change your mind with the presence of new information
- Metacognition-understanding how we learn
- Questioning and problem posing
- Applying past knowledge to new situations
- Thinking and communicating with clarity and precision-using appropriate and specific language
- Creating, imagining and innovating-“thinking outside the box.”
- Taking responsible risks in learning
- Thinking interdependently-working with others to generate ideas
- Remaining open to continuous learning-Be a “Learner for Life!”
As always, we know that with parents as partners, supporting our initiatives, our young students will be well prepared for the challenges that lie ahead and the will ultimately be successful!